Eliza Doolittle interview


I managed to steal a quick ten minutes on the phone with Eliza Doolittle, a pop starlet who’s going to be huge later this year when her album gets released. She was lovely, and I can’t wait to see her at Studio Two tomorrow in Liverpool. If you get the chance, come along. Alternatively, you can check out her website or watch the video below for a taster.

How would you describe your sound to someone who had never heard you before?

I’d probably say it’s very summery, and light, but with thoughtful lyrics. They have catchy, fun melodies... it’s pop music, but not cheesy pop music.
What influences you to write the music you do?
Well, I listen to a lot of different music. A lot of soulful stuff, but then again I like the Arctic Monkeys and Radiohead. I listen to a lot of Kinks, Beach Boys and Minnie Ripperton, as well as Stevie Wonder, Janet Jackson, Destiny’s Child...loads of stuff, really.
How do you write your songs?
There are different ways, but I tend to get ideas for a song first, then I’ll work on as melody. I’ll work alone on a piano, then I’ll follow that up by working with producers and writers.
Did you always want to make music?
I was always a musician. Luckily, when I was 16 I got a publishing deal for my writing, and that helped me get by. I was always working towards releasing my first album. I got signed about a year and a half ago.
How many instruments can you play?
I can play piano, but also a little bit of glockenspiel and any number of fun, random little instruments lying around I’ll give them a go. I’m not multi-talented in terms of instruments.
How are you feeling about the new single and how it’s doing?
I feel good about it. I didn’t think ht it would get in the charts at all, so I was really happy that it did.I’ve got another single coming out soon as well, which will be really good.
How is the album coming?

The album has been done since before last summer, but we’ve held it back until now. It’s going to come out on June 28th. I love all the songs in their own individual ways, but my favourite is “In a Smoky Room”, and I try to always get the audience involved with that when I play it live.
How is the tour with Jamie Cullum going?
Really good, yeah. We’ve done four dates now, and it’s really fun. I like playing in London best, because it’s home, and it’s always more relaxing to play at home. I don’t mind what size the venue is though, or whether I’m headlining or supporting, because once you’re onstage it’s your time, and you can do what you want with it.
What are your plans for the next year?
When my album comes out, we’ll put a tour together, and I’m playing a few festivals this year. Hopefully it’ll involve travelling, I like to travel.



No comments:

Post a Comment